Thursday, 20 November 2014

Moroccan sweet potato starter with sultanas

There are a few vegetables I never clicked with. But since I started weaning my baby boy I thought it was only fair that he does not suffer from my discriminative choices regarding vegetables.

Never say never, maybe our taste buds mature as we do and we can take in more things than we did before (and drop some in the process such as white chocolate).

I started introducing pumpkin and butternut first and I was pleasantly surprised. I also introduced the dreadful beetroot and that went well too.

Now I won't blame my parents on this as these vegetables are used in Moroccan cooking and in a nice way..It's just one of those things when you don't like something.



I also didn't like okra because of its slimy inside but that's over, only within limits I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with that vegetable except its sliminess, but passed that, it's nice, especially when you spice it up properly.

Last in the list was sweet potatoes. I was the only one not really into it but I could see my sisters finishing the sweet potato cooked salads with the speed of light..




Now, a few years forward and with a different mature palate, I suggest you try sweet potatoes cooked the Moroccan style.

Ingredients
Serves 3 to 4 
Prep: 5 min - Cooking: 25 min

1st set of ingredients

  • 2 medium-size sweet potatoes 
  • 40 g of dried raisins or sultanas (presoaked for 30 min in water)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger
  • 1/2 of sweet Ras El hanou
  • 1/2 tsp of turmeric
  • Salt to taste
2nd set of ingredients
  • 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 tbps of honey or sugar
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil




Preparation

 Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes.

Place an adequate cooking pot over medium heat and add in the 1st set of ingredients. Cover with water to 2/3 and cover the pot. Simmer for about 25 min. Stir a couple of times and check if the pot needs water.

Add the second set of ingredients and gently stir. Caramelize for a few minutes and adjust the seasoning.

This cooked salad should not be too sweet but you could add more honey if you feel like.

Serve warm or at least at room temperature, never cold from the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...