Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Marzipan Stollen and a recap. I saved the best for last

I hope you've been following me for the past couple of weeks in this German baking session over here as well as on my facebook page. In the case you've been doing so you must have noticed the number of stollen varieties I've baked recently.


It's the fourth Stollen recipe that I've just tried. I can feel a softer texture in comparison with the previous recipes. I think this one has character and I'll definitely keep the recipe.


I have sent a message to the owner of the blog asking for permission to post her recipe in my blog but I never got an answer, which is why I'll just refer you to the blog post. The blog is called Hefe und mehr  (yeast and more). It's bilingual (German and English) but nowadays I does not matter because google Chrome does the automatic translation (I'm sure you knew that).

I thought I didn't like marzipan Stollen but it turned out that I don't like the store-bought stuff one might find it Lidl and co..The other thing I don't like is the store-bought marzipan because of the strong taste of almond essence that hits the palate and kills my taste buds. So I made my own marzipan.


Having a homemade marzipan, a homemade citrus peels mix and a homemade spice mix...You can't go wrong with that can you?

For more stollen recipes please visit these previous posts as well as the 2 external links I'm referring to (I tried their Stollen recipes):

  • Today's post is about this marzipan stollen which you HAVE to try out. However, I spiced it up differently, I used 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder, 1 tsp of cinnamon, a good pinch of nutmeg, a small pinch of ground cloves.
  • Quark stollen: easy and quick, no yeast and no hard kneading required.
  • Marzipan stollen (posted in French a while ago) which is pretty much similar to this one posted in the German food guide here (in English)

I didn't insist on the shape of the stollen but if you definitely want to have it here is roughly how it's done (there are other ways as well)..These pictures were taking while I was making a simple stollen without marzipan in.

Bring the 2 opposite edges inside

Bring one side towards the middle but stop just before that

Bring the opposite long end to the top to wrap the previous edge 

Make sure you seal while forming the heaped middle part

The stollen needs to rest before baking
 I hope you do make the effort to try one of these stollen..They make a nice present as well..Just remember that stollens needs at least a week to age before they're consumed. You don't have to put them in an airtight container. You may actually need to loosen the grip of the container a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Nada,
    sorry for answering just now, but I had a rather hard week working overtime and hadn't time for answering emails :-(
    Your stollen looks great and I never mind if anyone shares my recipes :-)
    I wish you a merry Christmas,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. I hope all is well from your end. Your stollen recipe is the best I've tried so far! Your blog is a wonderful place for any bread lover ..Frohe Weihnachten!

      Delete
  2. I love stollen - actually I thought they all had marzipan? Shows how much I know (or don't know, rather). I had no idea how they were made actually... I didn't realise they'd be rolled up like that - it looks really nice. I'll schedule it in for my Christmas baking... next year I think since this year is a bit busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Charles, I just discovered the non marzipan ones lately as well..Happy festive season..I'm sure you have baked a lot lol..

      Delete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...