Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Jamie's easy and tasty shortbreads

Everyone knows who Jamie Oliver is by now so I'll pass on the introduction.. I just want to say that I have loads of respect for the guy because to me, he was the first to get the Brits (and maybe others) to re-think they're way of tackling the food. Actually, when I see some ingredients being available out there on a larger scale in UK supermarkets, somehow, I just feel It must be because of him that I can get them so easily...


That said, although I do not follow his recipes (Have I ever followed one to begin with?), I just like his style. I would love to tell him his Moroccan food is not really Moroccan but I guess if it tastes good that's fine (but still, please make an effort on this one Jamie, I know you've been to Morocco)..

I added orange zest and lavender to a second batch
Now funnily enough, his shortbread recipe is quite famous in the French "blogosphere".. People on the other side of the canal love him.




I tested it, tasted it..My husband is asking for more! We love it, although I'm not into extremely buttery stuff but a good bite of these shortbreads along with an Earl grey is just perfect anytime of the day..

Ingredients
For 20 shortbreads (depending on how you cut them)/
Prep: 10 min- Baking: 40-50min

  • 250g salted butter at room temperature
  • 125 g of sugar cane
  • 250 g flour
  • 125 g of fine semolina
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 tbps of caster sugar for decoration


Preparation

Preheat oven to 150 ° C. Butter the pan/tin if you are not using a non-stick pan.

Cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is creamy. Add the flour, the semolina and the salt. Mix with the spatula to obtain a soft homogeneous dough. Form a ball.

At this stage, I took the dough and used my hands to flatten it all the way to the edges of my Pyrex but I guess you can just roll it out as well and then press lightly with your fingers to get an even surface.

Give the dough some pricks with the fork all over the surface .

A batch of shortbreads with orange and lavender

Bake for 40-50 min until the pastry is golden.

While warm, sprinkle with sugar cane and cut the shortbread fingers or squares.

Let cool for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool again before storing them in a metallic cookie box for a couple of days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...