Friday, 6 December 2013

Haselnuss kipferl - Hazelnut half-moon cookies


Today, I'm posting another Alsatian/German/Austrian recipe as part of the Weihnachtsgebäck (Christmas or festive season's baking).

Since it's the first time I made then, I wasn't honestly too sure of the outcome. The reason being I'm not a big fan of too much hazelnut in one go, although I like a praline made of 50% hazelnut. But somehow somewhat I just loved these half-moon crescents. 

I hope you have already tried the vanilla kipferln (Vanilla half-moon) cookies I posted this week because these are just a variation with ground hazelnut replacing the ground almond and the decorative chocolate replacing the icing sugar..And just like the previous biscuits and cookies, they taste better after a couple of days of making them.




Ingredients
Adapted from "Backen für Weihnachten"
Makes 40 Hazelnuss-kipferln
Prep: 45 min- baking: 12 min
  • 140g butter (I used 110 g butter and 30g finelly grated white chocolate)
  • 100g ground hazelnut(toasted in a hot oven at 160 degrees C for 8 min or so then cooled, skin removed)
  • 200g of flour
  • 100 g of sugar (fine caster sugar)
  • 2 eggs yolks
  • 1 tsp of vanilla exract
  • A pinch of salt
Decoration
  • 100g of chocolate couverture (melted)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 170 ° C.

 

Cream the sugar and the butter. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix together to homogenize the dough. 

Form a ball and they split it into 4 parts.

On a floured work surface, made long sausages of 1.5 cm thick. Cut into pieces of 4 cm long. Alternatively, you can form small balls of about about 15 g weight (Yes, I weighted them, my cookies look relatively big because they weighted 21g and the whole batch gave about 30 pieces).

Shape into crescents and place them on a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper.
 

Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden from the corners.

Let the biscuits cool for a couple of minutes, dip them in melted chocolate. Let the chocolate set and store in a metallic cookie box..It'll keep for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy them with a cup of hot drink...




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...