Saturday, 9 November 2013

Moelleux au chocolat et noix de coco - Molten lava chocolate and coconut cake

I decided to make this moelleux au chocolat the day I decided to start a diet. So obviously my good intention related to cutting on sweets didn't last long..

However, when a woman needs a chocolate indulgence, we can't really stop her can we? I don't really know how men function when it comes to chocolate but I know that my husband "killed" 2 slices with a good vanilla ice cream on the side..I still managed to eat the other 4 slices over 72 hours (see, that was the best I could do, it's like being on diet really!).


The cake just 10 min after It came out of the oven, still warm-ish but good with a scoop of ice-ceam
This cake is gluten-free if there is any concern of that sort.

I sneaked in some pecans

I have previously tried to cut some calories on cakes of that sort, I used yoghurt and apples (here), it turned out nice but not this "muddy"..I'll still go back to that recipe for a moist cake.

The other recipe I have and where there was no intention to cut on anything was posted a while ago (here). It was a cross-way between a brownie and a moelleux. It went down a treat in my family...

The recipe I'm posting today is 100% gluten-free and with reduced sugar and fat (which has been replaced by some buttermilk).

If you like a proper molten lava or mi-cuit as we say in French, your cake will be ready after 20 min baking. 
After 30 min baking (in my lousy oven at least), the texture I was looking for was there..The cake does not set in the middle when it's still warm in any case so do not use the skewer/knife test on this one..


Ingredients 
Serves 6 persons/ For an 8 inch rectangular tin or anything closer
Prep: 15 min/ Baking: 20 to 30 min 
  • 150 g. Dark Chocolate 70% (I used /12 good milk chocolate and ½ dark chocolate)
  • 120 g. butter (initial recipe calling for 180g)
  • 60g buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • A pinch of salt
  • 90 g. brown sugar
  • 40 g. sugar (initial recipe calling for 90g)
  • 80 g. cornstarch
  • 50 g. of unsweetened shredded coconut


The cake after 2 hours (or even 3 days at room temperature) , cooled and slightly firmer (my favourite texture)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 ° C.

Melt chocolate and butter in a bain-marie and set aside.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs with sugars and salt. Add the buttermik, the chocolate and butter mixture gradually. When the mixture is homogeneous, pour the cornstarch and grated coconut and mix again.


Pour into the tin (you could cover it with baking paper) and bake 20 minutes at 180 ° C or 30 min, depending on the oven. It will form a crust but won’t set from inside.

 It has to cool down, it will get “muddy” from inside and will stay at room temperature for 4 days at least. I never tried further than that..It’s best served (even a few minutes after the oven) with good vanilla ice cream..

I keep the cake in a plastic container. This moelleux au chocolat is freezer friendly, a sort of "anytime" fix...



4 comments:

  1. Very chocolatey and delightful molten lava cake,irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya...very irresistible indeed..Even my husband who is not into chocolate had a few servings..

      Delete
  2. Hi Nada, I was expecting you to freeze the cake for a while first before baking. I never tried making any kind of molten lava cake or such thing before but I thought this was the only way to achieve the optimal result, but nice to see that it can be done with a bit less hassle too! Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Charles, I hope you are settling there and adjusting to the new place..I never froze the cake. I actually make it when I want an instant chocolate fix.

      Some Chefs use a sort of ganache inside or nutella (trapped and frozen before hand). Nowadays, you get Valrhona products to use as "inserts" especially made for individual portions but I most of recipes are straight forward without that drama. As long as you serve it while it's warm or in the first couple of hours it'll give you that gooey texture..The key is the time of cooking, you need to know your oven and the texture you are looking for..

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...