Thursday, 20 June 2013

Part 1/3 : French Rhubarb tart in Franche-Comté

This month has been pretty good for me because I've been travelling, just like the old days.

I went to France for 4 days and to UK for 8 days to visit family here and there. I learned a few things on how to travel with a less than 3 months old baby. Being in charge of the luggage and anything beyond 7 kg, his father has built on a few muscles in the process of hopping on and hopping off from a tube to another or a train to another...

My trip to France was amazing although it's been raining heavily, so I missed out the visit to a cheese maker (in the region where my cousin lives, they make Morbier and Comté, among other things (more cheeses and plenty of wine if you are into it).

Rhubarb tart cooling outside in the garden
However, we've had a couple of hours of sun in 2 out of the 4 days trip and I managed to take some nice photos..

Isabelle, my cousin's wife made us an outstanding Tartiflette (typical dish of the region) as well as a pizza-flette as we like to call it (a tartiflette on a bed of pizza dough). We also had a wonderful classic rhubarb tart where the rhubarb got picked from the garden. What else would I ask for?

Rhubarb as fresh as It can be

Today's post is about her Rhubarb tart, which I figured was actually similar to some tart recipes where other fruits are used such as apples, strawberries..It's about having a shell (well, it's a tart isn't it), the "appareil" will be made of eggs, sugar and creme fraiche or liquid (single cream works fine for me as well). 

I adapted Isa's recipe since she didn't go crazy on the sugar but again, some like the sourness of the rhubarb, not in my case..

So here are the ingredients. Isa hasn't been very precise but it does not matter because the more rhubarb you put it, the less "cream appareil" you need. Just play it by "look".



Ingredients  

For a 26 cm tin
Prep: 15 min - Baking:
  • 1 roll of pastry (store-bought in this one)
  • 1 kg of rhubarb (more or less)
  • 2 eggs (small or medium size)
  • 40 cl of creme fraiche (you could mix single cream and sour cream)
  • 100-200 g sugar (Isabelle does not put sugar)
Finishing
  • Demerara sugar
 
Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 ° C.

Wash the rhubarb sticks. Most of the French will peel them but I like the pinky colour so It's up to you.

Roll out the pastry into the tin and prick the bottom with a fork.

Cut rhubarb into small cubes and spread on the dough (the fastest way). The other way is to cook the rhubarb cubes in a pan and collect the juice that will render (to be boiled with sugar later and use as a glazing for the tart once baked).

Mix together eggs, sugar and cream. Spread the mixture over the rhubarb. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar.

Bake about 30 to 40 minutes until cooked and look golden brown on the edges. 


Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream (vanilla will do).


Closer 
The tart is better eaten cold within 48 hours.


4 comments:

  1. Travelling with kids is very tiring, doing it with a baby is just for brave!!! Btw I've never tried rhunarb, I think i have never seen here around :( I virtually take a piece and try to imagine it taste! baci, serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serena..The steward on that from UK to Germany plane told me I was brave..lol..BUT we still enjoyed the trip..

      Regarding the rhubarb, I've never seen it in my home country either. It's very sour with a fruity smell...I also like the colour it brings to the baked good.

      Delete
  2. Such a droolworthy tart, cant ask more..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...