Monday, 4 February 2013

Custardy Apple tart: Tarte aux pommes Alsacienne ou Normande

There are many apple tarts and pies. But this one is our favourite. I actually don't know why I never posted it before. I also don't know why I was never able to take a decent picture to give it enough credit.

It brings back childhood memories with its custardy taste, a buttery crust and a fruity filling (apple in this case). The slightly coloured custard skin is a must!

This is initially called "Tarte aux pommes Alsacienne" or "Tarte au pommes Normande". Does it really matter if you are not French (neither am I for that matter)? It's just a wonderful tart and that's what matters..

So if you like apples, this might become part of your baking repertoire..It's very satisfying and of course indulging.

You want the crust to look like this (although here, there wasn't much apples in the filling)

Ingredients
Makes 1 tart using 20-25 cm tart tin
Prep: 20 min - resting time: 1 h (if the dough is homemade)- Baking time: approx 35 min

For the dough
Use 1 roll of shortcrust dough or sweet pastry dough
Here is one recipe from scratch
  • 125g of butter, in cubes
  • 240 g of all purpose flour
  • 30g of almond powder
  • A good pinch of salt
  • 1 egg yolk + 3 tbps of cold milk or 1 egg 
  • 1/2 vanilla pod (use the beans only)

For the apple topping and the cream
  • 3 big apples (I used pink lady, granny smith is too acidic)
  • 2 eggs at room temperature
  • 10 cl of milk
  • 10 cl of single cream
  • 70g of caster sugar
  • 1/2 vanilla pod (use the beans only)
Finishing touch
  • Icing sugar or Apricot jam for glazing

Fill the tart with apple wedges as much as you can, no gaps allowed

Preparation

The dough

With the tips of your fingers, make a crumble with the flour, the salt, the almond powder and the butter, You can add vanilla beans or drops of vanilla extract at this stage (optional). 

Add the egg yolk and milk and mix. Do not overwork the dough.

Make a ball then flatten it to form an "abaisse". Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for about 1 hour or 20 min in the freezer.

Making the tart and 1st baking stage


Preheat oven to 200 ° C.
 

Roll the dough very thin (maximum 2 mm) and place in a mould/pan. Place again in the freezer.

Peel the apples, cut them into maximum 1 cm thin wedges and arrange in proper order over the dough. 

Sorry for the blur picture but this is how you need to stuff the top of the tart and do not leave gaps
Fill in all the gaps, do not leave any or you will have a custard tart rather than apple tart, just like here..


Still a nice tart, but not what we are looking for: it needs more apples because the wedges will shrink.

Sprinkle with sugar (demerara sugar for me) and bake for 15 minutes.
 

Making the custard filling and 2nd baking
 

In a bowl, beat 2 eggs with 70g caster sugar for a few minutes, then the liquids as well as other half portion of vanilla beans (or a few drops of vanilla extract).
 

Pour the custard over the tart and finish cooking in the oven (about 35 minutes) or until it's set and look beautifully golden with dark patches over the custard.
 

Let cool and sprinkle with icing sugar or glaze with apricot jam.

Serve at room temperature or slightly cold.





And here is another way of presenting it

(photo updated - june 2013)


There are more recipes for tarts (like here, here, here , here or there or there), crumble, pies, muffins, danish pastries (in French or English) with apple in the blog. Please visit them and enjoy the apple season to the max!

More apple recipes on the way..Stay tuned :)




7 comments:

  1. Apple tart or apple cake will be soon your most baked ones, trust me!! babies love them! baci, nada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha..good one..I already have a big baby (the husband in other terms) who always ask for apple cakes.. So I'm trained, somewho..

    You are actually right, no idea why but I always liked apple compote since I was a child...I hope my baby will like it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. waauw, looks better than in most shops... and the form is so lovely!!!
    I think the almondpowder in the dough is a nice idea!
    Good luck with the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric..that's honestly the only tart tin I brought with me to Germany..thinking to get a standard one..I'm making tarts heart-shaped and people must be wondering what's wrong with me..lol..

    I always used almonnd powder in the dough, it' gives it a crunchy texture..1 or 2 tbsp make a difference in the final result..I hope you try that out..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nada,
    Probably I'll try next sunday, I have to make some pastry for 30 people, so you're ideas for your tarte aux pommes is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I managed allright, I made sevaral cakes and 'tartes' picture of the normandie one in your mailbox.. byebye

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...