Sunday, 10 February 2013

Apple Terrine with a crumble, who said apples are boring?

I'm still on an apple wave and since I'm not doing much in the kitchen these days, it's an opportunity to do something about those late posts..

If you are a follower on my facebook page, you would have spotted some photos of this yummy apple terrine.


A lot of crumble for me, please!

There is not much to do in this recipe. The worst part of it is to peel and cut the apples thin.

I have about 3 recipes about the same subject: apple terrine. I have tried this one (which I'm posting today) but actually I'm eying Jean-George Vongerichten's apple terrine with a granny smith sorbet and a nice shortbread on the side. I've tried it many times and if I had the chance, I would still as for it after a wonderful meal in his MARKET restaurant..

Until then, I'll share with you this apple-y dessert/entremet which I have adapted from here. Again, it's always best served with an icecream, sorbet or cream to balance the caramelized apples..Have a go at it..




Ingredients
Serves 4 to 6
Prep: 20 min- Resting time:  2h + 20 min- baking: 50 min

The apple terrine
  • 8 to 10 apples medium-size (braeburn or pink gala)
  • 200g of melted butter
  • 200 -250g of demerara sugar
The crumble/streusel, OR Instead of the crumble, just serve with crushed gingersnaps.

  • 100g of butter, in cubes
  • 100g of caster sugar or (half caster sugar half demerara)
  • 100g of almond powder
  • 100g of all purpose flour
  • A good pinch of cinnamon
  • A good pinch of salt
Finishing touch
  • Caster sugar(optional)


Preparation

The apple terrine (1 night ahead)

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Peel and core the apples, then slice them as fine as you can. Set aside and line a loaf cake tin with baking paper all the way over the edges.

Layer the apples inside the cake tin without leaving empty space. Each layer should be brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar. It's not time to be stingy..This will help in the caramelization process. Keep going until all the apple slices are in. Do not hesitate to add butter and sugar if the quantity I gave you is not enough.

Bake for about 50 min to 1 h until golden and that the knife runs throught the apple without resistance.

Next, and this step is seriously important: Cut a cardboard that would fit inside your tine and cover it with aluminium foil or cling film. Place some heavy weight on the top so the apples and press down, they need to render their juice. You really have to drain them otherwise your terrine might become soggy at some stage (and you don't want that to happen when you are cutting it).

The apple terrine after baking, getting ready to get some weight on

Chill the apple terrine for 2 hours or overnight.


For the streusel

Preheat the oven at 170 degrees C. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper (or not).

Mix all ingredients and rub until crumbly/sandy consistency. Cover the dough with a cling film and place in the freezer for about 20 min.

Bake the crumble/streusel for 15 min or so until nicely golden. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.

Bringing it together

Either you slightly warm up the apple terrine slices in a microwave or in an oven, then arrange on a plate, sprinkle with granulated sugar and caramelize using a blowtorch (which I haven't done). Or you just let the terrine come to room temperature without warming it up.

Serve with the streusel and cream or ice-cream. I served mine with a gingersnap on the side. It gave it a nice spicy kick...




5 comments:

  1. It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cytaty Sukces, how did it go? have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lots of crumbles for my dessert too and this one looks very delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoe, I hope you try it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    You are able to see your stats:

    -Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
    -Number of votes received every day
    -Number of votes received by each category
    -Number of votes for each grade (1-10)
    -Number of votes for each recipe.

    Look this example of one profile stats: http://fooduel.com/stats1.png

    We would love that you participate with some recipe. Looks Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...