Sunday, 9 December 2012

Thin and crispy Polenta and Thyme cracker

Making homemade crackers is so easy and very rewarding, you know what goes in and you can "costumize" them with different herbs, different flours, shapes, spices, cheeses..

I love crackers because they make nice snacks especially with dips. But looking at the prices for small packets and also the amount of salts in them, I decided to make my own.


I wish I had my pasta machine with me to make them even thinner like paper but hey, with a rolling pin and patience, we can still have amazing crackers..






Ingredients

Makes about 2 baking trays (mediun-size)

Prep: 10 min – baking 7/9 minutes

  • 150g  plain flour
  • 100g polenta/cornmeal
  • 50g cheddar, finely grated (optional)
  • 2-3 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ cup water, I used slightly lukewarm

Options: Cayenne/chilli powder, garam masala, Fleur de sel/coarse salt to sprinkle on the crackers before baking them. Also, try to add a tsp of French mustard in the dough for a kick.




Preparation

You can do this by hands or in food processor.

Mix all dry ingredients and add olive oil. Mix until it resembles to breadcrumbs.

Add the water in slow motion and as needed. Work the dough until getting a slightly sticky texture.

On a floured surface, knead the dough gently for about 3 min until you get a smooth soft texture, not sticky.

Add flower if the dough is too soft or add water if it’s too dry (flours have different absorbtion ratios especially if you plan to use a special flour).

I left my dough for 10 min in a plastic bag but I can skip this step.
 
Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Use the same to roll the dough (You may roll it on a floured surface but the method I’m proposing will save time).


Polenta crackers in the making
Flatten the dough as thinly as possible (1 mm is just about right). Use any cutter you want, or knife, or pasta cutter to shape the crackers but I suppose squares, rectangles and triangles are better options if you think to serve these crackers with a dip.


Slide the baking paper into the baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 7 to 9 min (fan oven needs less time) until they’re golden brown from the edges but not more.

Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.


2 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to find your blog. I love love love Moroccan food. Found you through the Moroccan food group on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ansh, thanks for stopping by..Please feel free to try the recipes and telle me what you think..

      Is spiceroot your blog? It's beautiful..

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...