Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Appetizers: puff pastry pinwheels in 30 min

I like making my own puff pastry and It never fails me. It gives my appetizers a nice flaky and buttery dimension.


I made my pinwheel the day I made my puff. I placed them in the freezer. Today, I just had to thaw the big rolls, egg wash them and bake them.




Ingredients /sundried tomato pesto and black olive pinhweels
Makes +20 pinwheels
Prep 5 min - Baking 10 to 15 min
  • 15 cm * 40 cm sheet of puff pastry, approx.
  • 1 heaped tbsp of black olive tapenade
  • 1 heaped tbsp of sundried tomato pesto
  • 50g of parmesan, grated. Or use your favourite cheese
  • 1 egg yolk for egg wash
  • Salt, freshely ground black pepper and cayenne to taste

Ingredients / mortadella and provolone cheese pinwheels
Makes + 20 pinwheels
Prep 5 min - Baking 10 to 15 min
  • 12 cm * 30 cm sheet of puff pastry, approx.
  • 50g of provolone cheese, grated. Or use your favourite cheese
  • 100g of grated mortadella or any sort of cold cut you like, preferably spicy
  • 1 egg yolk for egg wash (If you have made the previous recipe as well, use its egg wash)
  • Salt, freshely ground black pepper and cayenne to taste

Preparation

Egg wash the puff pastry strip from the front /upper side.
  
Recipe 1: Spread the ingredients pre-mixed and roll tight. Seal at the edges by pressing with your fingers.

Recipe 2: Sprinkle the ingredients and roll tight. Seal at the edges by pressing with your fingers.

Place the rolls in the freezer. They need to firm up so you can cut them into pinwheels without makig a mess.

Preheat the oven at 220 degrees C (200 if with fan).
 


Cut into 5 mm thick and egg wash the tops. You may sprinkle cheese, black pepper or dried herbs at this point before baking.

Bake until golden brown.

Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving. Place them in an airtight container with a paper towel at the bottom.

These pinwheels are better served the same day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...