Sunday, 28 October 2012

Wild berry pie


My husband has been asking for a berry pie and I never made this before..He insisted he wanted a pie with a double crust.

The wild berry pie, still cooling while I'm writing this post

I grew up making tarts. The only 2 pies I made with my dad were rather savoury. But since I got married to a Brit, I made sweet pies since. It’s just not a habit. I also still think that 2 layers or shortcrust dough is too much butter for me. But we have to admit it tastes good.

Now a berry pie is something I’ll never say No to. It’s just too good to resist. It makes the whole house smell very “berry”.

Instead of making proper pie with a double crust, I chose to go for lattices. I bet that with a proper pie baking pan with those fancy edges, this pie would have looked better towards the edges but I don’t have it so this baking pan is not bad either: it’s practical.

I got inspired by my mother-in-law who made a berry pie while we were in Wales during last Christmas. She added starch and sugar to the berries, which makes perfect sense. The rest is a basic shortcrust dough with a bit of almond powder for a better texture.


Ingredients
For 10 inch pan
Prep 30 min – baking: 50-60 min

Shortcrust pastry (save the leftover in the freezer)

  • 470 g all-purpose flour
  • 50 g of almond powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 30 to 40 g. granulated white sugar
  • 260 g of unsalted butter, in small cubes
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten with a fork
  • The zest of ½ or 1 lemon
  • About 6 to 8 tbsp of cold milk

The berry filling

  • 400 to 500 g of frozen wild berries (or fresh)
  • 100 g of granulated white sugar (use sugar depending on the sweetness of the berries)
  • 30g of cornstarch
  • 1 tbps lemon zest + a few drops
  • 1 tbsp of butter in cubes ( I forgot)

Glazing

  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp of milk
  • Demerara sugar


Preparation

Berry filling

Mix all the ingredients to cover the berries without smashing them. Set aside.

The berry mixture, coated with sugar and starch.

Shortcrust pastry

Make it as usual. Divide it into 2 and place it in the freezer to chill for about 10 to 15 min.
Roll it to 2 mm thick between 2 pieces of baking sheets. Keep lifting up and turning it until you get to the requested thickness.

Place in a pie pan covered with baking paper and greased from the sides.

Freeze it for 10min. 

Making the pie and baking

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Roll the 2nd part of the shortcrust dough to 2 mm inch. Cut strips of 1 to 1.5 cm large with a pastry wheel or just with a knife.

 Fill the tart case with the berry mixture. 

The juicy berry mixture, slightly cold though

Start placing the strips of pastry while crossing them.  I advice you start at the center towards the edges. Space the stripes about 1.5 cm. trim the edges and press them to the pastry case so they stick.

The pie, ready for baking

Glaze the lattices and sprinkle the top with Demerara sugar.

Place the pie in the lower third of the oven. If you are using a proper pie pan, place a baking sheet underneath and cover it with foil because the filling might spill.

Bake the pie for about 15 to 20 min on high heat (200 degrees C) and then bring it down to 180 degrees C for about 45 min until the crust has become nicely golden brown and the berries have become jammy.

A closer look on the oozing jammy filling

 In case the top has become golden brown before the pie is done, cover it loosely with baking paper.

Serve the pie with your favourite cream when cold.




4 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely pie Nada, and I just love the first picture... it looks so "jammy" and delicious. Love the way you've arranged the pastry on top too - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an irresistible and fantabulous pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charles, I took the pic while it was still warm..
    I just discovered an easier way after having made this one: they cross the strips on the tope of a baking sheet, they freeze it slightly then they slide it on the top of the pie, Smart no?.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priya! Thanks for your sweet words as usual!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...