Monday, 28 May 2012

Rhubarb and strawberry pie

I know I said there will be no cake baking but this is a tart, so It does not count. Besides, you will know shortly why I made it.

Rhubarb has no place in my Moroccan culinary dictionary, unless it has been used centuries ago without having left a trace in any book.

The first time I saw rhubarb, I thought it must be some sort of cardoons in a girly colour. Cardoons are quite abundant in Morocco especially during winter and spring.

My husband is always talking about the days his parents used to grow rhubarb in the backyard. It seemed that I was the only one not knowing what rhubarb tastes like, not to mention how to prepare it.

While reading about it, I learned that rhubarb and strawberries make a good combination in a tart/pie. The tartness and sweetness will result in a treat. I made my 1st tart. My husband didn't really enjoy it. But, coming to compare the rhubarb bought in Qatar and the one bought in Germany, of course the latest is better.

Since I arrived here in Germany, my husband has been asking for a nice rhubarb pie, althought it's almost everywhere in where we live now..

So I made my 2nd rhubarb pie with strawberry for more flavour. I adapted this recipe which seems to have had good reviews. And here is what I've come up with.





Ingredients
Serves 6 /1 pie 9 inches
Prep:10 min - Resting: 40 min- Baking : 1 hour

  • 1 1/2 recipe of shortcrust dough
  • 1 lemon + 1 lime, zested (my addition)
Filling
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cupof corn starch (I replaced the flour)
  • 2 stalks of fresh rhubarb, chopped
  • 400 g of fresh strawberries
  • 2 tbsp of butter
Egg wash
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons of demerera or caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp of water
 


Preparation

Chop the rhubarb and the strawberries ahead of time (at least 30 min). Mix all the ingredients and set aside.

Mix the shortcrust dough with the zests and roll the 1st layer that you place in the baking pan. Freeze for 10 min.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.

Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.


Brush the top of the pie with egg wash (egg yolk and water), using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape. 

Bake at 200 degrees C for about 15 min then bring the heat down to 180 degrees C for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack. 



Serve with custard, or ice cream.. Maybe a bit of icing sugar on the top.


8 comments:

  1. It looks very very yummy, Nada! Btw, i m very curious about rhubarb's taste but I ve never tried it, so you are in good company! ;) Have a nice stay!
    serena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a fabulous and yummy pie..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pie looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Spice Up the curry..It was nice indeed..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Serena..I'm indeed in good company :)...Rhubarb is a bit sour and refreshing. It definitely needs sugar. I don't think it's one of the things I can bite in raw..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Priya..That's what my husband said too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elpiniki,,,glad to see you around again..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...