|Our new town, and the top right is the view from our flat|
But what's really warming my heart and getting me so excited (besides the breathtaking landscape) is the colourful seasonal fruits and veggies.
|Saturday Market in the Marketplatz|
|Some of the things I bought from the saturday market in Marketplatz|
- It seems that we are right in the Spargel season (asparagus). So everything seems to be made with asparagus, from the soup to the pizza...
- I'm usually ok with tomatoes but because of my gastric problem, I tend to consume wisely. But since I got here, I've been snacking on tomatoes: They're so firm, sweet and flashing red, so you can't miss them.
- Over here, everyone seems to be found of kartoffel (potatoes), So are we! I suppose we are in the right place.
- Yesterday, cherries have shown up!
- And last but not least, the berries: strawberries, blueberries and raspberries; they're all very inviting. It's seriously an addiction: I still have them in the fridge but I'm already thinking to buy more, especially the raspberries, I never tasted better than these.
- After walking too much, you can't resist the traditional kaffee/ kuchen break (coffee and cake). Actually I don't feel like baking cakes anymore until I try all whats available in all these Konditorei (cake shops). I'm serious about it: it's hard to resist them, and they are many in a strip of 100 m.
|Wonderful moist cake with walnut, hazelnut and candied lemon peel, covered with a thin layer of buttercream, marzipan and a chocolate powder.|
- Germany is the land of beer and sausages, no question about it..But because of my religious restrictions I wouldn't be tackling this part of their culinary heritage. Also, we are located in an area where wine production is a main business, there are vinyards everywhere. So I'm sure some people envy me at this point, especially that I have no interest in alcoholic beverages but I know people who are already planning to visit me for the sole purpose of stocking up in wine...
So yes my friends, from a culinary angle, this majestic country has a lot to offer. So far, my only challenge is the language, but I plan to learn. There is a time for everything. I see many books about baking that I'm eager to buy and devorate..
So I hope you follow me in my new adventure. Let's discover Germany.