Friday, 13 April 2012

Sweet onion dip


Watching Chef Andrew Mitchell on fatafeat.tv inspired me to make this onion dip. Chef Andrew is a Canadian-Egyptian guy who makes Fusion food in a way that gets you hooked to his show. If only they could bring another person to assist him because she looks like she’s in the wrong show. Seriously, it's like enjoying some nice scenery when suddenly a bunch of flies come to disturb you! She spoils the whole show with her manners and her total ignorance of food.

But that’s not the point here!

Chef Andrew prepared this onion dip with the addition of carrots; I preferred my roasted cherry tomatoes as a substitute. He added crème fraiche, I preferred to make the whole dip with plain Greek-style yogurt. I also added 1 roasted creamy garlic clove and some strips of roasted red bell pepper.  

Chef Andrew wouldn’t recognize his recipe anymore if he hears about mine but watching the way he cooks, I’m sure he will be please that I got the message.
What’s good about this dip? It's dead easy to make: you roast the vegetables with their skin, once cooled, you blend them with yogurt. 

Onion dip can be presented with fresh cuts for a healthy nibble or a sinful one (nachos and co..). It can be presented with grills. I kept some for the next day and it was still fine.

My first onion dip, for lunch

The main ingredient in this recipe is the roasted sweet onions. It’s the key to this “onion-crisps” after taste you get when you dip something in it. Which is why I kept the main ingredients which gives this recipe its name and I played around the others…

Then again, sweet onion, sweet seasonal red pepper and sweet roasted tomatoes, don’t they all create the perfect harmony together?

My mega giant dinner/ TV platter, I pretend it's healthy


Ingredients
For a bowl of onion dip
Prep: 10 min – Roasting the veggies: 30 min.
  • 1 small (or ½ medium-size onion) red or yellow onion skin on, cut into 2
  • 1 small sweet red pepper
  • 1 small garlic clove, skin on (optional)
  • ¼ cup of oven-roasted plum or cherry tomatoes (optional)
  • 1 cup of Greek-style yogurt 
  • 1 tbsp of cream cheese or kiri
  • ¼ cup of basil leaves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Drops of olive oil
My 2nd onion dip, for dinner, done the same day! I loved it

Preparation

Preheat the oven at 220 C.

Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil. Grease it with olive oil. Place the onion, red pepper and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Coat with olive oil.

Roasted veggies, the carrots are for another recipe I was making on the side..

Bake for about 30 min or until tender and beautifully coloured.

Peel the onion, garlic and the sweet red peppes. Set aside to cool.

Put the vegetables and the yogurt in a food processor and blend. You are free to leave some pieces, it looks even better.

Vegetables and yogurt in the food processor, almost ready

Add the basil at the end and give it a pulse or two. Correct the seasoning and serve. Drizzle some olive oil (mine is with chilli flakes, hence the colour).

Serve cold with crackers, with vegetable sticks, with grills...

One serving of Moroccan-style lamb brochettes (skewers) with onion dip..

2 comments:

  1. I love dips, in all shapes and forms :D

    This reminds me of a dip I used to buy a lot... I never actually tried making it myself but I'll definitely try this.... I have to say I wouldn't be so healthy though... I'd be scoffing it with potato chips :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dips when they're in front of me without having to make them.. But this one has that roasted onion that got me interested...
    As for the potato chips, nachos and co...it's because I'm trying not to buy them in order not to be tempted, which is why I pre parebread-with spices chips instead, because I still want something crunchy.. I still miss nachos I must admit.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...