Saturday, 28 April 2012

Cake aux fruits confits by Michel and Albert Roux and photos from my garden

Spring has sprung a whole ago although late, here is a sneak-peak at my little garden.

I'm sharing with you these wonders of the nature in attempt to keep a positive mood because it's quite hard to do so.


Spring has sprung but late in March

Bees (and neighbours) are enjoying my lavender

The pomogranate is still giving sour fruit, unlike my mom's trees..Patience


"La pâtisserie des frères Roux" is an amazing book that I cherish for many personal reasons. I was given this as a gift in 1996 by somebody who is dear to my heart and who died at a young age.  

To keep a positive mood, I'll stick to this colourful recipe.

Roux brothers do not need introduction, very much like Bocuse, Lenôtre...Just as we say in French "c'est une valeur sûre".

The story behind this cake (and some others coming soon): My neighbour was waiting for me to come back from Qatar to learn some baking basics.. Since she's a nice woman and I love her little kids, I accepted. So we started with Ina Garten's orange pound cake:

Blur picture of Ina Garten's Orange pound cake with icing and caramelized orange (my addition)
The next day, we made the "cake aux fruits" (fruit cake, not the christmas version), which is what today's post is about..

I've chosen to bake the cake in mini-moulds, I got 5 mini-cakes. I kept one for me and gave the others to my neighbour.

It's dead simple and cheap, but the result is mindblowing, rather senses-blowing. I added a few things to the recipe but you will see they fit well in there.

I was busy with my neighbour so my hands weren't free to take more photos..I only managed to catch a few pictures from the final cake..Anyway, it's so easy to make, it does not need a descriptive tutorial.


Ingredients
For 5 individual mini-loaves (double ingredients for a big loaf)
Prep: 10 min - Fridge: 30 min - Baking: 40-45 min

  • 140g of butter, soft (I used 2/3 butter and 1/3 oil, which gives a moist cake)
  • 125g of caster sugar
  • 1 egg yok
  • 1 large egg (70g)
  • 150 g of flour
  • ½ to 1 tsp of baking powder
  • Drops of orange blossom water and or vanilla extract
  • 60 g of candied fruits (different colours), finely chopped
  • 60 g of candied orange, kumquat and lemon peels (homemade, my addition)
  • 40 g of sultanas and currents (pre-soaked in orange juice, my addition)


Preparation


Butter and eggs should be at room temperature

Beat the sugar and butter until creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk one by one.

If the batter does not look creamy and homogenous, try to beat it over a bain-marie for a few seconds.

Fold in the flour and baking powder (previously mixed and sifted) in 2 or 3 batches.

Add the candied fruits and peels, raisins, currants (all previously dusted with flour).

Cover with a cling film and place in the fridge for 30 min.
Preheat the oven at 240C. Cover the loaf pan with parchment or grease with butter generously.

Bake at 240 C for 7 min, then at 180 C for 35 min approx. Check if it’s baked through.

I brushed it generously with a syrup (water, sugar, orange blossom water). You may brush it with liquefied apricot jam (and make the syrup with that as well)

Enjoy it preferably after 6 hours so the flavours infuse.

The cake freezes very well, but I doubt you keep a piece of it.


It's a winner, just try it! The Roux are behind it!


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers,great looking cake,wish to have a slice..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Priya..I couldn't resist taking photos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi love!

    bien arrivés à paris. j'espère que tu vas bien.
    j'ai ramené avec moi le cake aux fruits confits pour mon petit dernier que est très gourmand
    j'ai passé d'agréables moments en ta compagnie et partagé ta passion pour les bonnes et belles choses qui se mangent...
    j'ai quitté casa sous la pluie et trouvé un tps affreux à paris, me restent les couleurs et saveurs du maroc...
    take care et hope to hear from you very soon...
    jamila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je viens de demander à zineb si tu étais bien arrivée….On a passé de bons moments, apart from the day when they freaked me out and I freaked out all of you!!
    Le soleil et de retour, besslamtek, avec du vent aussi…

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a beautiful cake - especially the last photo showing all that lovely fruit. Love the pics of the garden too. What's the flower in the bottom left of the 2nd photo (and top right of the 3rd photo)... it's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charles, The cake was even better with an orange zest (we made it the next day as well).

    I have no idea what is the flower called..I bought a pot on the way home quite a while ago, It was incredibly cheap but as you see, it looks so nice..

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...