Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Quince jam/preserve


Today, I’ll be sharing with you a Moroccan-Jewish recipe of Quince jam. I saw quite a few recipes online and also in some book. This one is rather spiced/caramelised version, which is why I love it. 
Look at this beautiful ruby colour? Isn’t that on its own a reason to share it?.


In Morocco, maybe elsewhere as well, the Jewish community has some good recipes that have blended in the culinary history of our country.

I will never forget the first day I tried some of the jams I’ve never heard of before: carrot jam, dry raisins, aubergine….It seemed to me there was no barrier as of what you can turn into jam after that day.. An old woman from the Jewish community was selling it by weight.

The idea of this jam, as well as the one made of small aubergines or dry raisins, is not to have a mushy texture such as the jams we know.

What can you do with quince jam? Have it with some strong cheese such as blue cheese, put it on the top of any roasted red meat, use it in a tart or a cake, or just have it as is…


This recipe is adapted from here (in French). 

Ingredients
For 6 persons
Prep: 7 min – cooking :1h – 1h 30 min

  • 2 quinces of about 650 g, peeled and cut in length into 8
  • About 325 g of caster sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks of 2 cm or 1 tall
  • 2 cloves
  • The juice of ½ lemon
  • 30 cl of water
For soaking
  • Enough water to cover the quince
  • The juice of ½ lemon

Preparation

Soak the peeled quince in water mixed with lemon juice so they don’t go dark. I kept the skin on the side and a cooked it with the jam for more pectin. Just discard at the end (or eat them, like I did).

In a heavy pan, bring sugar, cinnamon, clove and water to a boil. Add the quince and cover. Let simmer over low heat for about 1h to 1h30. You might use a pressure cooker (which I did, because 
the pulp of the quince is hard). In this case, cook on medium heat and once you hear the whistle of the cooker, Uncover and let simmer over low heat for about ½ hour. Add the lemon juice and carry on simmering until you get a very sticky/caramelized consistency.

To check if the jam is ready pour a few drops on the marble of the kitchen or any cold recipient, once cool, if it gets very sticky it means it’s ready. Discard the peels used for their frangrance and ptheuir pectin only.

It may take up to 40 minutes of simmering over low heat for the jelly/jam to reach the set stage. 
Once the set point is reached, put the jam into a sterilised jar, seal properly and put it back in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This caramelized jam/preserve keeps for years according to the people who have tried it. Mine wouldn’t last for a week…



2 comments:

  1. Hi Nada - nice to see some more quince love. I got a big batch of quinces last year from a friend's mother and made all sorts of things - jams, jellies, gum-type stuff, and just baked some and served it with chicken. I really love the flavour of quinces - to me it tastes so delicate and perfumed... a bit like cloudberries - did you ever try these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles, I wasn't fan of quince either because my mother used to cook it with meat and that was the only recipe using quince in our family.: Quince gets boiled then caramelized with sugar, honey, butter and cinnamon, the meat is cooked in a savoury sauce and the 2 meet in a plate. I hated that until I grew up and then I enjoyed it, but only when quince smells good and in season. Now I'm adopting the fruit and I love it..

    Never heard of cloudberries..I actually just googled it (Bless google). sounds more of a Nordic berry..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...