Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Easy soft chocolate cake for the child in me


I was in need of some chocolate fix these days and the dark chocolate Lindt tablets didn’t seem to be enough. Suddenly, I remembered one of these ridiculously easy and soft cakes of our childhood which didn’t need fancy ingredients and yet seemed to taste good and please a crowd.

The recipe of easy chocolate cake I’m posting today requires a good cocoa powder if you are a picky person, but as a child, a Nesquik kind of formula works well too. Since I’m no longer a child and a became too complicated, I added a good pinch of chilli and I replaced the hot water with my cold coffee cup that I forgot to drink..

Easy and soft chocolate cake, perfect for coffee-time or anytime..

 Since I’m alone these days, This cake was all for me..but then it would have been a crime to finish it alone. Thank god my brother passed by today while I made this cake yesterday, so I’ve sent the ¾ of the cake to my nephews who think that Tata (auntie) Nada rhymes with sweets.  I just took me another 15 min to make the ganache and reconfigure the cake, like so....

The same cake-base reconfigured the next day for my nephews

 Since it was going to my little nephews, I covered the ¾ left with ganache, cut it into shapes and crumbled the rest to make “truffle” like kind of stuff.. all decorated with those little candies.

The giant cake truffles from the inside

 This is also to say that this chocolate cake can be a good base for many recipes. You can double or triple the ingredients and stack up the layers, you can add nuts, you can cover by any frosting you like..

This recipe is largely inspired from Anne Wilson’s “ Délices au chocolat

Ingredients
Serves 8, I used a round-shaped mould of 25 cm diameter
Prep: 10 min – baking: about 30 min
  • 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flower
  • 2 tbsp of almond powder (my addition)
  • 1 ½ tsp of baking powder (about 8 g)
  • ½ tsp of salt
  • ¼ cup of cocoa powder
  • 100g of butter
  • ½ to 2/3 cup of caster sugar
  • 1/3 cup of jam or marmalade (apricot, berries, or why not orange)
  • 80 ml of hot water (my cup of coffee instead)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Finishing touch
  • 2 heaped tbsp of jam
  • 1 or 2 tbsps of water, depending if your jam is runny or not
  • Coconut, crushed nuts, ganache, whipped cream..

Preparation

Preheat the oven at 180 C. Cover the mould with parchment paper or use silicon moulds.

In a saucepan, heat the butter, sugar, jam and water until all is dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.

Butter, jam, hot water and sugar melting over medium heat

In another bowl, sift the cocoa powder, the baking powder and the flower.  Mix with the eggs.

Add the liquid ingredients to the flower/egg mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula.

Pour the batter into the mould and bake for about 30 min until set.

Finishing the cake

Once the cake is out of oven. Prick it and cover it with the liquid jam that you have liquefied with water and heated slightly.

Once the cake is completely cool, you may sprinkle anything you like or cover it with any frosting you fancy.


This chocolate cake keeps well in the fridge or even outside for 3 days.


The dark chocolate ganache I used in this recipe
  • 100 of dark chocolate,
  • 1 heaped tbsp of butter
  • 4 tbsp of milk (didn’t have cream)
  • 1 tbsp of glucose (to keep it shiny)
Melt all these ingredients (except milk) over a bain-marie. Once you get a creamy consistency. Take the bowl away from the bain-marie and pour the warm milk. Keep stirring until you get a smooth ganache. Once it’s cool,  cover the cake with it and let set.



To make the “cake truffles”, which you can also use to make cake pops


Making the cake truffles

I added a handful of roasted and crushed walnuts and hazelnuts, 3 cherries (kept in a syrup), 1 tbsp of honey (you can use jam or chocolate) to stick the cake crumbs and the nuts together. I covered the truffles with the ganache and let it set…


This one with quince preserve is mine

 I think the child in me is happy for now...

5 comments:

  1. Ma sha Allah, ya Nada! They are sooooooooooo beautiful and soooooo yummy ... I d really like to have a slice!!! Have a great day, dear!
    serena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks serena...I hope you try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey can i use baking soda instead ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely but at the same time you may need to beat the white eggs and fold them delicately.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...