Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Pains aux raisins, Raisin buns or Shneicks. It's just good for breakfast


I will have to confess that I prefer raisin buns to croissants! Well, aren’t they made with the same dough? You even get to have a custard with it.


In Morocco, I grew up eating raisins buns under the name of shneiks, where they come with dry raisins or with candied fruits. I’ve never seen buns with cinnamon until I moved to Dubai where there was cinnabon. Since then, I’ve seen it in different countries and of course In Canada.

That concept of drowning the buns in sugar and butter is still not my thing, but I picked the idea of adding cinnamon to the bun and used it with the pastry cream. It was just wonderful. I also like Kanelbullar (cinnamon roll posted here or here, or there), from time to time. They have the amont of cinnamon I can enjoy without the heavy soaking I see in cinnabon!

Besides the sweet versions of the buns, we make (back home) some savoury rolls which have mushroom and cheese, tomato sauce and black olives instead of the sweet cream. A nice treat during the afternoon!


Back to raisin rolls. They’re really easy to make. Again, once the croissant dough is mastered, everything else is just as easy as 1,2,3.

I have also posted this recipe in yeastspotting.


Ingredients
More than 20 small buns
Prep: 10 min - Proofing: 2 hrs- Baking: 20 min

  • 500 g of croissant dough (here or here)
  • 250 g of homemade vanilla crème pâtissière (pastry cream used here)
  • 1 cup of dry sultanas (pre-soaked)
  • Or 1 cup of candied fruits, diced
Egg wash
  • 1 egg
  • 1 to 2 tbsp of milk
Glazing
  • Apricot jam or any other clear glazing

Preparation

Roll the croissant dough into a rectangle. Cover with cream except about 1.5 cm at the very end. 
Sprinkle sultanas and/or candied fruits (this option is widely available in Morocco).

Roll gently until you get to the other edge. You should get a sort of log. Cover it with a cling-film and freeze for about 30 min (I do it to make sure  I cut the buns evenly).

Shaping Pains aux raisins / raisin buns/raisin rolls/schneiks.

Slice the roll every 1 cm with a sharp knife.

Place the buns in a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Leave some space between the pieces because they’ll puff while baking.

Also, make sure you pick that last bit of the dough and place it under the bun to have a perfect cirle when it's baked, or you will have something looking like the one I'm glazing in the picture down here (not really perfect). But that's just a detail.

Flatten them slightly by gently pressing with your fingers.


Egg wash nicely but without excess. Let proof for about 2 hours (unless you live in a very warm area).

Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C and bake at 170 degrees C for about 20 min.

Glazing

Glaze while still hot (or dust with icing sugar once cooled, or keep it as it is).

Serve at room temperature within the next couple of hours.

You can also freeze the buns before baking/proofing them. You just need to thaw them in the fridge and let them proof at room temperature as previously mentioned. This way, you will always have freshly baked raisin buns. 


 Try this version of brioched raisin buns if you don't feel like making a croissant dough.

Note: I have to tell you that this dough has received 5 to 6 "tours" during the lamination process, which is why you see all these layers..

Update on June 2013: Dough with 4 tours only..amazing results!


 

4 comments:

  1. j'ai eu du mal en France à me faire comprendre quand je demandais un shneick ! lol merci pour la recette, j'adore ce pain mais ici il a un goût différent de celui de casa...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lysy, je te comprends, j’ai eu le même problème pour un long moment, surtout pendant ramadan. C’est pour cela d’ailleurs que je prépare mes propres shneiks depuis maintenant 4 ans a pars quand je suis au Maroc.
    Je pense qu'il y a 2 sortes de shneiks à casa, les briochées et les feuilletées comme celles ici..je pense que les autres ont des œufs dans la pâte. Si tu veux de bons shneiks comme chez nous, je te conseille la pâte de Christophe Felder que j’ai posté en français (tu las trouveras sur mon blog).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nada - I love these... I had no idea they were called "shneiks" - they sell them from time to time in a supermarket near my place. It's so fun biting into them and revealing juicy, hidden raisins... mmm

    Yours look really delicious - wonderful job... you're inspiring me to start braving croissant dough myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charles, I have no idea why they are called shneiks in Morocco. It's one of these things..

    I'm glad you're thinking to make your own croissants and co..It makes the house smell so good..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...