Wednesday, 15 February 2012

My chocolate-chestnut mud cake


There are moments where we just don’t know what to do and what to choose. I’m facing one of those! A lack of inspiration, many options and no idea what to do or where to go.

These days, I have to clear my pantry and use some of those thing I usually make ahead, waiting for an inspiration to use them, such as pistachio powder, or candied peels (orange and lemon), or those “Kumquat confits” that I’ve been working on for about 6 days to get the final result, without having the chance to use them.


This chocolate mud cake is a result of a few combinations. I have to tell you that I went by feeling, I just used the chestnut puree because it was there but also it's less artery-dammaging than a lot of butter. Not that this recipe is for people on calorie-diet. It's mostly for those in need of chocolate.

If you want a runny cake, bake it for 20 min, of you want a cake like in the picture, bake for 30 min.

Ingredients
For 2 to 4 persons
Prep: 10 min – baking: 30 min
  • 100g dark chocolate min 55%
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 150g sweet chestnut puree (mine had a hint of vanilla)
  • 15 g of sugar
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 heaped tbsp of candied peels, finely diced
  • 2 eggs
Preparation

Melt the chocolate with butter in bain-marie.


Add the chestnut puree to the melted chocolate while still hot, Stir and set aside.

Beat the eggs with the rest of the ingredients. Add the chocolate chestnut mixture.

Bake at 150 degrees C for about 30 min. serve warm to cold, to your liking, with whipped cream, a white chocolate ganache, ice-cream or a nice berry coulis.

This cake is freezer-friendly..



For more chocolate cakes with the same texture or softer, have a go on these (all recipes in French, please use Google Translate on the top left).

- Light chocolate cake, soft and muddy
- Muddy brownies with a hint of peppermint
- Mi-cuit au chocolat

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nada - that cake looks just amazing! I'm not a huge fan of chestnuts, but when they're mixed/baked into something I think they can give a really beautiful, rich texture and background flavour! Looks so moist - very "muddy" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, the only way I can have a couple of chestnuts is when they're roasted during a cold day..But I wanted to try it for once as a puree and chocolate/candied peels kind of balance the chestnut taste..
    If you want a more moist result, bake it for about 20 min...mine was totally set after 30 min.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size pan should I use? I really want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...