Monday, 6 February 2012

How to shape some danish pastry


These days I’m using my batch of croissant dough made last week. I have also made a long roll that I cut based on our needs to have freshly baked small raisin rolls (which will be posted separately).

Since I have promised Danish pastry for this week, here is what you need to make them.

This recipe will be featured in yeastspotting.


Ingredients
For about 8 pieces
Prep: 10 min – proofing: 2 hrs – baking: 15 min
  • Croissant dough (1/2 quantity of this recipe)
  • 1 cup of thick homemade crème pâtissière (pastry cream)
  • Apricots or peaches in syrup, as needed
  • Berry jam (raspberry or strawberry), as needed
Eggwash
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp of milk
Glazing
  • 3 to 4 tbsp of apricot marmalade or any other shiny glazing (corn syrup…)

Preparation

Thaw the dough in the fridge, let’s say overnight in case you have a frozen one or make it from scratch if you are following this recipe or that one.

Follow the steps in the picture below to make the “papillon”. 

You basically need to cut a square, then cut an inner square with a sharp knife. Then lift the top left corner of the border and bring it to the opposite side (right bottom corner). Repeat the same for the other side: bring the bottom left corner to the top left side. In a way, the 2 corners should swap places.

Fill in the centre with about a generous teaspoon of pastry cream. Place another teaspoon of jam on the top once the danish pastry is baked (I added it before baking and it was all gone at the end, I had to add another spoon after baking them).

Steps to make the "papillon"

Follow the steps in the picture below to make the fan. 

Cut even squares, then make 4 sharp and neat cuts in diagonals but without cutting through the centrer.
Place about a tablespoon of cream, Place halved apricot or 1/4 of a peach (pat-dried). 

Bring the corners to the top following the pictures. Pinch to seal. 

The other way is the pinch the corners and place them in the centre underneath the cream and the fruit, which will give it a professional look.

Steps of making the fan or pinwheels
Egg wash and let proof for about 1h30 to 2 h.

Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C and bake at 170 degrees C for about 20 min. Glaze the danish pastries while still hot.


You can make swiss rolls or twisters as well. I suggest you watch this video for more ideas...He's inspiring!


6 comments:

  1. Aah, you make it look so easy :D No, really though - it doesn't look so hard now... I'd never seen it done before, and you can't really get good danish pastries in France... not commonly at least, so if I can make them myself, so much the better!

    I think I've found my Valentine's Day project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Charles, Glad you like it. I don't get proper danish here either, which is why I make it from scratch...

    I'm suprised that even in France it's not common to find good viennoiserie! That's news to me...Where is the wolrd going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elpiniki!
    Glad you like it! I hope you get to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and informative,Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chowyunfood..Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...