Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Black olive tapenade



Olive tapenade is a great spread and a smart addition to some sauces. You can make a green or black olive tapenade. You can mix both. It's totally up to you. The only condition is to make the tapenade with good olives.

I suggest you get proper olives, not the canned ones. If you are lucky to be from Mediterranean countries, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Homemade bread rolled with olive tapenade

Back home, my mother and my aunties buy olives from the fields and do the whole process of salting and pounding them until the olive is ready to be served and eaten. That way, they control the process and adjust the bitterness to their liking..It’s actually a story when it’s the season to make olive oil. No wonder I still can’t get used to the idea of buying an industrialized olive oil! But that’s not the subject of the day.

No I'm not sure if you already know that an olive with its stone (seed) inside tastes better than the one that's been deseeded and soaked in that salty liquid used in canned products.


Another information: Canned black olives may contain chemicals that turn them black artificially. Therefore, you need to make sure where your olives come from and how they've been handled.

Back to the olive tapenade, you might also add sundried tomatoes to the mix, thyme or any of your favourite herbs.

Ingredients
For about 1 cup of tapenade
Prep: 5 min – No cooking
  • 1 cup black olives, preferably slithly bitter, deseed them yourself
  • 5  capers
  • 1-2 cloves garlic
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3-5 filets of anchovies
Preparation

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times until you get a coarse texture. Mine is more like a paste because I’m planning to make some savoury nibbles calling for an olive paste. 
Tapenade is usually not very smooth, you can usually see olive bits..

Spread olive tapenade over canapés. Serve cold or at room temperature with bread.
I add a spoon of tapenade to my tomato sauce especially if it’s intended for pizza or pasta.

Keep in a jar in the fridge, covered with olive oil. Stir from time to time.

Do not be scared by anchovies, overcome your fear! You wouldn't notice they're there! But without them, it's  just like there is something missing!


I made these spicy shortbread nibbles using the tapenade. We make them a lot back home...I'm homesick these days if you haven't noticed...


I will post the recipe shortly...




8 comments:

  1. This sounds WONDERFUL! My Man loves olives. I will bookmark this and maybe surprise him. But I can only find canned versions :o/ I will try to find one without all the nasty stuff in it.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! how did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find them Marillyn!
    Honestly your blog is amazing and I really want to try the orange powder..I have bookmarked it and I was planning to go back and and check the blog properly.. I'm doing some baking now and my mind is with what's going in the kitchen LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Canned black olives may contain chemicals that turn them black artificially" - ?? Omg... really? I had no idea! That's kind of gross :/ I do enjoy ones which are preserved in the method like in the picture you've posted... I think they're just salted instead of brined, maybe?

    I love a good tapenade - whenever my friend returns to his home-town in Cyprus he comes back with something similar to these - baked bread swirls with tapenade inside... so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charles, Now you have the recipe of black taoenade with anchovies. I hope you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These looks so delicious! I love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Elpiniki, so nice of you to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Nada,
    I know what you mean about how strange it is to buy industrialized olive oil and how different olives from a can taste from the real thing.
    This sounds like a great recipe..can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sawsan,
    Maybe it sounds rediculous but I stopped buying olives for months until they brought the real thing!
    Please try the recipe and let me know..you can costumize it with your preferred herbs as well...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...