Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Turkish Poğaça with cheese


Poğaça is a sort of pastry prepared in the Balkans, Greece and Turkey with variations here and there. Considering the presence of the Ottoman Empire in the Balkans, it makes sense, though I have no idea where it originates from.


Practically  every country has the equivalent or Pogaca (Empanadas, samossas, briouats, pasties, chaussons ..), but this one is very easy to prepare: it doesn’t need too much kneading (you may stop when it comes together and feels soft). You may let it rise, you may not. I must admit that when the dough takes time to rise, it's of course better.

It’s a make-ahead snack that you can put in the fridge and warm a couple of days later.

During my trips to Turkey, Pogaca (along with Simmit rings) seemed like Istanbul commuters’ grab and go snack.

Pogaca with feta, but the one at the back is my version with spinash, minced beef and cheese

You can think of other fillings but for today, we’ll just try the easy one: feta and parsley.

I'm also posting this recipe in yeastspotting.

Ingredients
Makes 22 Poğaças
Prep: 30 min – cooking: 30 min
  • 1 egg (yolk separated)
  • ½ cup  butter  softened
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup yogurt
  • 2 tbsps of milk, lukewarm
  • 7 g dry yeast
  • 1 tsp salt to taste
  • 3 cups flour (approx)
  • 1 tbsp nigella seeds (optional)
Filling
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley/dill, chopped finely
  • Black pepper (for me)
Finishing
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp of milk
  • Nigella seeds, sesame seeds

Preparation

Place the lukewarm milk into a bowl. Stir well to dissolve the yeast.
In a deep bowl, put the flour, make a well and add all the other ingredients. knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic but not sticky. Place a plastic wrap over the dough.

Cover and let rest for about 15 min. or let it rest for 1 hour or till it rises up to double its shape. Both ways are ok.

In a small plate, mix the filling ingredients.

Divide the dough into egg size balls. At this stage, you may flatten them with a rolling pin or with your hands. Place one tablespoon of filling in the middle and close it up. Press the edges with your fingers to seal. That will give you a sort of “chaussons”.

The other way is to seal it from the bottom and have a round-shape.

My pogacas look big, they're meant to be for dinner with a salad, the round-shaped one has the right size for a snack

Place the pogacas in a greased baking tray or covered with parchment paper. Glaze with egg yolk and sprinkle with nigella seeds or sesame seeds. Let it rest for about 20 min, at room temperature.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C until nicely coloured (about 30 min). let cool on a wire rack or covered with a kitchen cloth for a soft pogaca.

Serve warm or at room temperature.


I have some leftover dough, I'll try it with other fillings...like sujuk (a bit like chorizo), seafood...this dough is just what I needed..

Here is another version with spinash, galic, cream cheese and minced beef, made in my Moroccan kitchen.




6 comments:

  1. Yummy pogaca,super tempting Nada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nada - these look absolutely beautiful. Anything with feta cheese is a win for me, but I'm loving the look of the spinach ones too! Thanks for sharing - I might try and make these on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious!
    I just found your blog and I loved it! Am a happy follower now!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com
    Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks....
    Oh I love greek cooking...so that'll be a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks charles, I love feta too althought it's too salty for me, but it balances with dough..

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...