Monday, 9 January 2012

Stuffed flat bread - Batbout maa'mar

I have posted Batbout recipe which is a type of Moroccan flat bread belonging to pita family. I had some dough left in the fridge since yesterday (yes you can keep uncooked dough in the fridge for a couple of days, it gets even better). So I made these stuffed batbout.



Moroccans have not invented stuffed flat bread as such, I've tried hawawshi in Egypt, Arayes in the Middle East, mostly stuffed with ground meat, mint and some spices. I like Italian piadinas, and I love Indian parathas (we have the same concept as well).

In Morocco, I first got to try the stuffed batbout when I was still a child. One of our neighbours were from the South, From the Sahara actually. They had an old oven in their backyard, built the same way they used to make them centuries ago. They used to cook and bake using wood. So that flat bread, stuffed with fat, onions, spices, coriander and parsley would just come out of this world.

I'm now trying to reproduce this recipe, in a apartment-friendly kitchen, a less fatty version..I think It worked. I don't see myself getting hold of an old-style built oven anytime soon, so I should stick to this.

There is a key ingredient to this: Khlii, which I have posted earlier. I suspect you can use a smoky- garlicky meat which you can shred or chop (smoked bacon).


Ingredients
For 6 stuffed batbouts
Prep: 10 min - Proofing: 30 min - Cooking : 6 min

Stuffing
  • 2 tbsp of agriche (spices from Khlii)
  • 2 tbsp of Khlii meat
  • 2 tbsp of red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp of chili powder, or fresh chili
  • 1 tbsp of sweet paprika
  • 1 handful of coriander and parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 clove of garlic, mashed

Preparation

In medium heat, cook the the vegetables in olive oil, until transparent. I add a couple of spoons of water and cover them so they become tender.

Add the rest of the ingredients, stir. Cook it for a few minutes. It should be dried and cooled before you use it for stuffing.

Follow the same procedure to make flat bread mentioned here, except that this time, you need to couple 2 circles. So you will be making a sort of closed sandwich, just like it the picture.


Make sure you push with your fingers or with a floured fork to seal the borders. Prick with a fork and let rest for 30 min or so.

Slightly grease the heavy pan and cook the stuffed batbout, a couple of minutes from each side, do not forget the borders as well.

In case you do not have Khlii, you can just use bacon or any smoked meat with a fat content. You can reproduce the agriche taste by using cumin, garlic, ground coriander powder.

Serve hot or at room temperature. Make ahead and freeze, then warm in micro-wave and finish in a hot pan.


I like that crust, slighty burnt, it just gives it an authentic taste.

I hope you try it!

4 comments:

  1. Looks super delicious and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! They look delicious - great use for the leftover dough Nada! The filling inside the bread looks wonderful, and I'm loving that slightly burnt, crispy top - I can imagine the kind of authentic flavour it gives that you talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually discovered that leftover dough sitting in the fridge is better than the first dough we tend to work with..

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...