Sunday, 15 January 2012

My ultimate Burger buns


These homemade buns are soft and spongy with a light thin crust. You know they’re good for you, because at least you know what they’re made of.

Eggwashed buns

I tried three recipes for buns, I finally learned something from each one of them and I’ve come up with this ultimate version giving me the desired result: a bun that tastes good and that looks good.

Non eggwashed buns..I actually "glazed" them with salted water

These buns are best eaten the same day of course, like any bread. However, you can also refrigerate for a couple of days.

I'm participating with this recipe in wildyeastblog.com.

Ingredients
For 16 small buns (8 or standard size)
Prep: 40 min- Proofing: 2 to 3 h- Baking: 15 min

  • 130 ml of lukewarm water
  • 170 ml of lukewarm milk
  • 1egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1 heaped tsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 40g of soft butter in cubes
  • 500g of flour (I used 50% all purpose flour and 50% whole-wheat flour)
  • 1 ½ tsp of dry yeast
To finish and decorate the buns
  • Sesame seeds, sea salt, herbes de Provence ...
  • Milk, olive oil
A bun lightly glazed with milk, the one on the left was glazed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and black pepper

Preparation

With a bread machine

Pour water, milk, sugar, egg, salt and butter. Add half of the flour quantity and the dry yeast. Launch the programme"dough". When the dough start coming together, add the other half of the flour and the butter. Finish the program until the end (which includes 1 h of proofing).

Remove the dough from the machine. Shape the buns.

With a dough mixer or by hand

Pour into a bowl the flour mixed with yeast diluted in 3 tbsp of milk. Add butter, salt, sugar, remaining milk and water. Start mixing and when a ball is formed, knead on low speed for 5-6 min.

Shape the dough like a ball and cover with a clean cloth. Let rise for 1 to 2 hours depending on the temperature of your kitchen. The dough should double in volume.

Shaping

Divide the dough into 16 equal parts of about 50 g or 100 g of 8 shares if you want a larger version.

Shape into balls. Let stand for 5 min and flatten the buns for about 8 cm in diameter and 1 cm thickness.

Delicately brush the top of each bun with milk using a soft brush, also try a version with olive oil. 

Shaping the buns

Sprinkle your choice of grains or herbs.

Let proof for about 1h 30 at room temperature.

Preheat oven at 200 ° C. cover your baking tray with parchment paper.

Delicately Glaze the buns again (yes, on the top of grains or the herbs, that way they didn’t burn).

Bake for 15 minutes. If you are using an old oven or ventilated, create some humidity by having a small baking tray full of steaming water at the bottom of the oven.

Let the buns cool completely on a wire rack before using them for burgers.

To make the burgers, ideally, open the buns and slightly toast them in a pan before stuffing them.

Two different glazings lead to two different colours.
 I have kept a bit of the dough for the next day, I'm thinking to roll it with sauteed onions and herbs..

And here is my portion..Most of the potatoes usually land in my husband's plate because there is never enough for him.



6 comments:

  1. Those buns looks absolutely fabulous and stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Priya! I like the soft bite in these little buns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultimate indeed, Nada - they look perfect. Beautiful and round and smooth. I *hate* burger buns from stores. They're always jammed full of preservatives because they're just something which sits on shelves for weeks. They're crumbly and dry, kind of like a bad cake. I've been making my own burger buns for a while now, but I'm still honing the perfect recipe. I'll give these ones a try - thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the store-bought version either. It looks too suspicious indeed!

    I hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photos are wonderful :) Thanks for the inspiring Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Healthy recipes...Thanks for stopping by! I should check your website more often!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...