Sunday, 22 January 2012

Middle-Eastern lentil soup


Shorber A'das or Lentil soup is usually available in Lebanese and Syrian restaurants (In UAE and Qatar at least). It’s seriously one of the best things I’ve tasted as far as Levant cuisine is concerned. It’s simple, it’s healthy and it’s quick to make, one of these 30 minutes recipes you want to keep.


Here is another post for Priya's healthy soup event.

Ingredients
Serves 6
Prep: 5 min – Cooking: 25 min
  • 1 cup split red lentil (no soaking needed)
  • 1 medium-size peeled potato, in cubes
  • 1 medium-size peeled tomato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 medium-size onion, chopped
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 l of chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
Serve with
  • Bread croutons (ideally fried pita in little pieces)
  • Lemon juice
  • Ground cumin

Preparation

In a heavy saucepan, add lentils, all the vegetables and garlic. Sprinkle cumin and cover with the chicken stock. Cover and let simmer for about 20 min. the lentils will cook quickly without pre-soaking.


Purée the soup until smooth. Do not over blend it or the starch from the potato will make it look muddy.


Put the soup back over medium heat. Add the olive oil and bring to a boil while stirring.
Serve hot with bread croutons, a sprinkle of cumin and lemon.


Lentils are a great source of fibres and potassium. I need both! I already had 2 bowls today, which brings me to that: when you want to reheat the soup for any reason, you may want to add some water to liquefy it again. Just in case..

6 comments:

  1. Omg,Super healthy and definitely satisfying delicious soup..thanks for sending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lentils - are red split ones the ones which retain their structure during/after cooking, because when I make Indian dal dishes using green lentils they just turn to a mush (still tasty though!). Beautiful and warming soup - I bet I'd enjoy this. Love the little crouton bits on top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles, they will get mushy after cooking. I use urad dhal when I make Indian/paki dal and they hardly cook even after a night soaking. I never tried these red lentils in an Indian recipe.

    You just gave me an idea! I miss dal dishes, the Indian way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, lovely I made your soup today, great idea!
    I placed a link on my blog to yours, I followed more or less your recipe...
    Delicious!
    Grtz Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric, great! I'm trully honoured! I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...