Friday, 20 January 2012

Gratinée à l’oignon - French onion soup


My quick soup of the day is a "gratinée à l’oignon" (French onion soup). Easy to make, it needs only a few ingredients but a lot of care.


Your soup will be good (or not) if you manage to brown the onions the way they should be: not burnt, but not under-coloured. The rest is just easy. So pay attention to the first 15 min if you want to enjoy a good old french onion soup.



Here is another soup for Priya's soup event

Ingredients
Serves 2
Prep: 5 min – cooking : 35 min
  • 30 g of butter
  • 300 g of yellow onions, finely sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 l chicken stock
  • Slices of baguette (or not if your bowl is made of bread)
  • 1 cup of grated cheese (gruyère, emmental, comté..)
  • 1 fresh thyme sprig (optional)
  • Hint of nutmeg (I just like it) 


Preparation

Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat, with oil. Add the onions, cover them and let them cook over medium heat. They have to caramelize (they have to become brown, not only golden, but not burnt). This should take about 10 min. It is even good that they stick a bit. Stir from time to time.

Add the flour and stir for a few seconds. Add the stock and season to taste.You may add nutmeg just like I do although it's not really mentioned in any of the french cooking books I have. I just find it makes a perfect match with the onion-butter.

Onion cooking, a NON-TEFLON pan will give you better results in the browning process, unlike here (I only have a teflon-coated pan).

Let simmer for about 20 min. It needs to reduce and thicken a bit.

When you're ready to serve, preheat the grill. Toast the slices of baguette with cheese generously spinkled over.

Place the grilled slice of baguette in a bowl, pour the soup on the top.

Or  if you are serving in a bowl made of bread (I have made mine with leftover dough from my daily bread, just like they do at Paul’s). just sprinkle cheese, place in under a grill until golden brown.

For a step by step..please visit this website (in French but the photos are self-explanatory).

 Out of subject but here is my bread of the day: multi-cereal flour.

The bread-bowl, proofing

Multi-cereal bread
I have left 2/3 of the dough in the fridge for 3 days, I added a fresh 1/3 the same day. I must say this version gives amazing bread that stays chewy from the inside for 2 days minimum.


6 comments:

  1. Mouthwatering here, wat a terrific and super tempting Soup..Thanks for sending Nada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Priya! It's a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It´s a exquisite recipe. I never think that the soup will be served in a bread.It´s a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back!
    Well I discovered that at one of Paul restaurants (the French chain). It also helps thickening the soup because while eating, we get to carve the bowl more and there is more starch that ends in the spoon! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nada - I was already impressed with the soup itself and then I saw you even made the bread bowl yourself too?! Nice one :D I didn't make onion soup in so long... you're really motivating me to give it a try, and I just love the look of the bread bowl - SO crusty and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charles, Glad you like it..
    I must confess that I eat that bowl of bread as well. Because It's just good..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...