Friday, 13 January 2012

Girly doughnuts and a brioche for breakfast



I have made these doughnuts for my husband's pupils a few days ago. I shall be making some this week because my neighbour is asking me for a doughnut session. Her daughter is after her for this..

I have used the same dough posted here. It's a winner. I've tried another version and it was tasteless, however the texture was fine and the icing made up for the sweetness needed.

So I'm going back to my favourite recipe which never fails me.










The doughnut recipe I'm using is basically a type of brioche, with less butter, that gives an amazing soft and spongy dough.

Doughnuts decorated with icing, coconut, glitter, hard candy balls


Now that I have a bread machine, I make bread, doughnuts, croissants and other doughs calling for kneading at a certain stage of the making. For this recipe, I used programme 8 "dough", I added the butter when the 2nd kneading session started.

I'll be posting this recipe in yeastspotting. Check our that website if you are into baking any dough with yeast.


Ingredients

For 25 small doughnuts

Prep Time: 30-45 min- Proofing: 2 h 30 - Cooking Time: 10 min


For the starter dough (make 30 min ahead)
  • 100g flour T55
  • 3 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 100 g of lukewarm water
For the final dough
  • 150g bread flour
  • 250g all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 50g of caster sugar
  • The entire starter
  • 150 g of milk or "creme liquide"
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
  • 1 orange or lemon, zested
  • ½ vanilla bean (makes it incredibly tasty)
  • 60g soft butter
Frying, finishing and garnishing the doughnuts
  • 1 ½ L  of vegetable oil for frying (eg sunflower) depending on the depth of your frying pan.
  • Caster or powder sugar
  • Royal icing soft consistancy, hard candy balls, coconut, melted chocolate, icing sugar..
Finishing and garnishing the brioche
  • 1 heaped tbsp of honey
  • 60 g of butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 tbsp of icing sugar
  • candied fruits (optional)
  • 1/2 lemon, zested  (optional)

Preparation

Add the ingredients into the bread machine in the order mentioned in the ingredients' list, except the butter. Use programme 8 " dough".

Add the butter in cubes in 2nd phase of kneading.

Follow the same steps of handling the dough, proofing and cooking the bombolonis.

Closer
With the leftover dough, I made a brioche for breakfast. I added some currants and let it sit for 2 hours to proof.

Because this dough has less butter to make a buttery brioche, I made it up after I baked it: I handled it the way we do for Stollen: melt the butter, spread it generously on the brioche at least twice:

1- the first one when it's still hot,
2 -the second one when it's slightly cooled.

I also sprinkled some lemon zest and icing sugar when the brioche was completely cool

Isn't it good enough to be called a brioche?
 I glazed it with warm honey to give it a shine and also to help those candied fruits to stick. You can use apricot jam as well.

Some candied clementines and cherries on the top of the brioche

This improvised brioche turned out moist the next day. The 3rd day, I toasted some slices the way we do with any Pain brioche. You can also turn the leftovers into a bread pudding! How about that. Look how many alternatives offered by one dough. This is the kind of multipurpose recipes I like keeping posted with a magnet on my fridge! I hope you'll try it.


For more brioche recipes (in french), please visit this wonderful silky brioche here or this melt-in-the-mouth pain au raisin with a brioche dough, or these apple and raisin rolls that my brother is now found of.


4 comments:

  1. Cute looking doughnuts, damn pretty..irresistible brioche..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doughnuts are on my list of "things to do"... I've had this list for years alas and keep meaning to get around to it. They look delicious - I must really try them, but you know, the thing I'm extra impressed with here is that brioche. That's just a feat of "wow" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get a bonus by making a brioche-dough doughnuts: you get to enjoy them even the next day. They survive and mature..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...