Sunday, 20 November 2011

Why do they call it "Pomme Anglaise" in the Restaurant?

My husband doesn't miss his weekend breakfast at Paul unless he over sleeps, which happened this weekend (understand that in Qatar, weekends are over Friday and Saturday).



So I had to reproduce his favourite order which is "Pomme Anglaise", or in my world “Apple tart on a puff pastry base". A white egg omelette since we have to reduce the damage of cholesterol in one meal. The drinks are mainly coffee and orange juice, as simple as it looks.

Now with the tiny kitchen that I have here I do not make my own puff pastry, yet I miss that! It gives me amazing result and in puffs majestically.

So I buy the one I find in Carrefour, which comes from France and has real butter unlike the others you may find locally. The taste is nice but it does not puff that much. Not to worry. I would have pricked it for this recipe anyway.

So here you go! easy and quick recipe to please my picky man!

Ingredients
For 1 person
Prep: 10 min/ Baking: 20 min
  •  Good puff pastry
  • 2 nice sweet apples
  • 1 heaped tbsp of demerera sugar
  • 1 heaped tbsp of butter
  • A dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp of lemon juice
  • 1 heaped tbsp of apricot jam
Preparation

Preheat the oven at 220 degrees C.  Peel and cut the apple in lengh. Add the lemon juice and cover.

On medium heat, melt the sugar. Add the butter half way through. Add in the apples. Stir and cover. Let simmer for few minutes. The apples with kick out the juice which helps them to cook through and will also keep the puff pastry dry while baking the tart. Add the cinnamon powder. Stir. the apple cuts should be caramelized and cooked through, with a bit of caramel juice left for later.

Cut a rectangle (or any other shape) of puff pastry, make borders from 2 sides at the end of the strip. I actually do that but it's not really that important. When the caramel comes out of the tart and burns it just tastes amazing.

Prick the dough and place the apple, drizzle with that caramel you see at the bottom of your pan.

Bake for 20 min or until golden brown. Glaze the tart straight after that with warm apricot jam.


It's actually just what you need for an "apple" moment"!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...