Saturday, 25 December 2010

My dad's grilled Moroccan sardines kefta/kofta

These are outrageously yummy belly warming tasty flavoured fish patties that my dad used to make during weekends.



I learned to live with the idea that my wonderful father is no longer in this world, I always have him in my thoughts, every single day. He was my inspiration in everything I do/did.. I still cook some of his recipes. He was the king of leftover makeover and I guess I inherited this part..

I thing this recipe must have come from that practice. This recipe of fish kofta patties on BBQ (or Kefta as we say in Morocco) was the only way to have me eat fish when I was growing because I just hated it at that time...

You can work out the fish Kofta in term of ratios: 40% sardines, 40% other fish, 20% fat. If you are looking for a figure friendly option, replace the fat by onions to keep it moist (or very light fromage blanc, It might work although I never tried it) although you still need the fat to bind it together (egg wouldn't work in this recipe).

Ingredients
for 4 persons
Prep: 15 min/ Cooking: appr 8 to 10 min each batch

- 300 g of white fish filets such as cod (anything firm)
- 400 g of sardines filets
- 100 to 150 g of fat/suet  (mostly the one surrounding beef/lamb kidney )
- 2 gloves of garlic in paste
- 2 white or spanish onions finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup of chopped parsley and coriander
- Harissa paste (red chilli paste) to taste
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 tbsp of peper
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp of cayenne peper
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Hint of Ras El Hanout (Or Garam Masala if you don’t have)
- Hint of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp of olive oil


Preparation


Prepare the BBQ (charcoal option is the best).


Raw patties, We added green olives to this batch

Using a food processor, blend all the ingredients together..

Shape into golf balls and flatten them just like burger patties…

Grill it on a barbeque on a medium heat..Allow it to cook through!


Serve hot with a salad dipped in Harissa sauce ( mix all together garlic, lemon juice, Harissa paste, olive oil and seasoning).





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...